Pets are an incredibly important part of the family dynamic but keeping them as an expat can be difficult on a number of levels. Import and Export is expensive, bureaucratic and stressful. Your pets will repay your devotion to them every day of their life, however. Look after them and they will take care of you.
- Pets are family too.
- Of course you should bring them with you to your new home but sometimes they have to stay behind, just for a little while, so you can sort out paperwork.
- When they finally come home it is extra special.
- Celebrate their milestones. Some pets make a very advanced age!
- Make sure your pet gets the best veterinary care even when abroad.
- Be warned you will be tempted to adopt strays that wander across your path. One of my favourites was Jimmy, our Nigerian rescue.
- Take care of them when they are sick, even if it means flying halfway round the world. Saying goodbye is hard.
- Pet Shops around the world are not always what they seem, choose the ones you support with care.
- Make the most of your new environment by enjoying it with your pets.