Happy New Year! Welcome to Travel At Home 3 and the first of 2016. Wherever you are in the world there are probably so many wonderful and fascinating things to see. If you are anything like my family it becomes all too easy to ignore the sites close to home, falling prey to the belief that they will 'always be there'. Familiarity breeds contempt and we hanker after the exotic. But the truth is home for one person is exotic to many others. As an expat family we get to be at home in a wide range of different places and we try to make sure that we make the most of any place we are living right now, getting out and exploring as much as possible.
I have noticed that the posts on other blogs that I enjoy reading most of all talk about places. It could be the bloggers home country; it could be their host city. It does not really matter, reading about locations is a wonderful way to visit and see through another person’s eyes, even if just for a few minutes. I wanted to see if it was possible to draw them all together into one place and that is where the idea of this link up was born.
Travel at Home is the linky for people who want to write about their home (or host) location and all the places that don't make it into a guide book (but really should). You don't have to be an expat to participate, just someone with a passion for their local area. The link will be open for a week so there is plenty of time to add your post (or posts). Last month's Travel At Home had some really wonderful posts but my favourite was American Mom in Bordeaux's post on the marvellous dune near her house.
There are just a few rules:
- Share your post - it can be a new post or an old one you want to share with a new audience.
- You can write about anywhere you have a strong connection, home country, current host or former host.
- Add the link up button and code to your post so that people can navigate back easily
- Comment on some of the other posts on the link up (the more the merrier)
- Tweet/share your link with #TravelAtHome. If you include me (@ErsatzExpat) in your tweet I will retweet.
- Add your post to the Travel At Home Pinterest Board contact me via Pinterest and I will add you to the board.
- Spread the word - the more the merrier and everyone is welcome.